If You Aren’t Outsourcing, You Should Be — Here’s Why
If you’re a business owner, you’ve probably heard the term “outsourcing” before. Simply put, outsourcing is the practice of hiring an independent contractor to complete tasks and projects. We are BIG fans of outsourcing here at Olivia Jenkins Consulting in both our work and personal lives — and I’ll tell you why.
First and foremost, let’s talk about outsourcing as it relates to business. Typically, work-related tasks are what come to mind when most people think about outsourcing, and that’s because it’s SUCH an incredibly important part of running a business smoothly…especially if you’ve just recently stepped into the role of CEO.
When you first start your business, you have to wear many hats as you figure it all out. You are not only the visionary, but the integrator, manager, and technician. There isn’t a person on earth who can balance all of those roles perpetually without getting overwhelmed or having it take a toll on their business’s growth.
When it gets to the point where you feel like there aren’t enough hours in the day to take care of your to-do list, it may be time to consider outsourcing in your business. As a business owner and mum of three, I can confidently say that outsourcing is one of my big saving graces when it comes to how I run my business and balance my days! My team is instrumental in helping the business run as smoothly as possible.
Here are just a few of the many benefits of outsourcing in your business…
Outsourcing gives you more time to focus on the parts of business you love.
You started a business because you had a passion, but it can be hard to remember that when you’re bogged down with the tasks you don’t like all the time. When you hire somebody to take those items off your plate, you can then exert all of your time and energy into the parts of your business that really, truly light you up.
Outsourcing helps you prevent burnout.
I don’t know about you, but I’m only human — and I can’t live my life constantly worrying about the next task I need to complete. I’d rather pour that energy into being the best business owner and mum I can be. We’re all familiar with the term burnout, and it is as real as people say. If you try to “do it all”, you’ll only end up damaging your mental wellbeing. Hiring a trusted team member to help with the things that tend to overwhelm you is one of the best things you can do to prevent burnout.
Outsourcing allows you to work ON your business instead of IN your business.
Do you ever feel like you spend more time doing busy work for your business than you do actually moving the needle forward? Do you have a dozen brilliant ideas you wish you could execute if only you had the time? Hiring an independent contractor can give you back the time you need to refocus your efforts on new and exciting business plans.
Like I said, there are NUMEROUS benefits to outsourcing in your business — those are just the top three that come to mind. I personally outsource my administration and bookkeeping, and I have somebody help me with my social media as well. This allows me to do what I do best in my business: work directly with incredible clients to transform their brands and help them make a name for themselves in the digital landscape.
So, what can you outsource in your business? The answer is basically anything you can think of. Let’s break it down:
- You can hire a business consultant or business coach to offer direct support or hands-on execution, depending on your needs. As a business consultant and coach, I help my clients with all sorts of things — from mindset to strategy (my specialty) to scaling. Check out our blog about the difference between business consulting and business coaching here.
- If you need help with specific tasks in your business, you can look for a specialised online service provider. Copywriters, graphic designers, and social media managers are just a few examples of the types of online service providers out there. You can also work with a general virtual assistant to take care of non-specialised day-to-day tasks. No matter what your needs are, there is an online service provider out there that can help.
- You can work with done-for-you service providers to complete large, one-off projects. This is a great option if you’ve had an idea swirling around in your head for some time but feel unable to execute it yourself. Done-for-you service providers can create courses, design websites, write long-form copy, create a launch strategy, and more in a short timeframe.
Now, I want to discuss the importance of outsourcing at home. As a mum of three children under three, things can get a bit chaotic around the house. Since home occasionally doubles as my office space, I’ve had to learn how to run the household efficiently while staying sane. The solution? You probably already guessed it…outsourcing.
There is no shame at all in getting some help around the house if you’re able to do so — especially if, like me, you can’t relax unless everything is clean and taken care of! Outsourcing things like housekeeping, childcare, and even meal prep can save you hours of stress and anxiety. Knowing that I get to spend time with my family after a long day of work instead of having a million things to do around the house is such a relief.
Here are just a few things you can outsource around the house…
- Cleaning is one of the most popular things to outsource at home, and it’s also (in my opinion) a huge timesaver. The things that professional cleaning services can do in just a few hours would take me a week to complete, and I always feel like a big weight is lifted when I know I don’t have to worry about cleaning up. There’s nothing like coming home to a clean house at the end of the day.
- Childcare is another really important item on this list. Leaving my babies when I have to work is always hard, but I can relax knowing that they are with their trusted nanny who will shower them with attention when I can’t. It also allows me time to take care of errands, as well as buckle down and get work done if I need to.
- Getting groceries delivered is all the rage, and for good reason — it saves HOURS of time! Do a quick search to see if any grocery stores in your area offer delivery and give it a try.
Outsourcing is one of the best things I’ve done for my business and family, and I can’t recommend it enough to new business owners trying to scale. And remember — there is nothing wrong with admitting that you can’t do it all. That’s what outsourcing is for!
If you’re ready to outsource and are looking to work alongside an established business consultant & coach with years of digital marketing experience, book a free fifteen minute discovery call today to discuss your options. I’m here to help you transform your business and bring your vision to life.
The post If You Aren’t Outsourcing, You Should Be — Here’s Why appeared first on Business + Marketing Consultant | Olivia Jenkins.